I am a technical writer and part-time consultant, but have never worked on phone systems before. One of my clients has a relatively new NEC Electra Elite 192. No one for three counties will touch the thing, so now it is up to me.

Installed ETUs are a CPU-B300-U10, COL8-U10 and COL4-U10, five ESI8-U10s, and a VMS4-U10. Unfortunately the only system hardware manual I have is for the Elite 48.

We had a power outage recently, and now it won't boot. With just the CPU board in, after a second or two of power I get two small red LEDs right next to each other, one solid and one blinking. After about 20 seconds they seem to reset. With the other boards in, they all come up with blinking red LEDs that reset along with the CPU board.

First suspect is the PSU. I was able to test the PSU both on a bench and at the ESI and it seems to be functioning correctly. It is on a surge protector, so perhaps the PSU actually is okay.

Following the flowchart in the Elite 48 manual, I am instructed to plug a terminal into the first ESI(8)-U10 unit---but there is no place to do so on the Elite 192.

Any help is greatly appreciated. My next step is to simply unmount the thing and send it to someone.

thanks