This sounds like a political smear campaign. Let’s not talk about our strengths, let’s just talk about their faults.

1. How often do you have to reboot your Computer Based Network? We hardly ever have to reboot any network device. This includes routers, switches, and servers.

2. How often must you upgrade your computer/network software? Aside from security patches there’s not a whole lot of upgrading going on.

3. When the lights go out, so do the phones? Huh????? If a TDM system is installed without any power protection what happens when the lights go out?

4. With analog, you always have a phone up with digital and PFT, you always have a phone up. There’s so many things wrong with this I don’t know where to start. Always have a phone up????? Yes, if the system is properly designed and implemented. Same can be said for any IP system.

5. IP phone guys (i.e. phone guys who have trained on IP) are usually better at troubleshooting a TCP/IP network than the in-house IT guy? This one makes me laugh. Usually better? I might not want to go around using this line too many times because you will eventually be challenged and end up with poo on your face.

6. Another gripe of mine is you need expensive Cat 5 backbone with QOS, POE switches just to run a phone? Most places have some sort of network in place don’t they? You don’t always need QOS and you don’t always need expensive POE switches.

There shouldn’t be a US vs. Them or IP vs. TDM debate. Both TDM and IP have their place and time. If I was quoting an IP system to a customer and any of these arguments was used against me I would love it because it would make my sale so much easier. A customer should be proposed the best SOLUTION for their need. This is going to vary depending on the situation and there’s so many variables that we simply cannot say IP or TDM is the "best". We are their telephone vendor and as such we should know just as much as IP as we do about TDM systems. IP is not going away so grin and bear it. The more time you spend fighting the system the more time you’re spending falling behind. Embrace the technology, educate yourself, and be prepared to make intelligent arguments as to the pros and cons of any system.