Not to run off topic but Linux is still a very un user friendly platform. I have gone to school for about 2 years to learn the linux/unix platform and it still puts many questions in my head. The way the file systems and kernel structure are set up, there is almost no way for a simple user to use it.

XP is the most user friendly and stable platform that microsoft has had to offer to the end user. All the way from a OS to a NOS, it provides the functionality that a home user and an experienced network user need. Anyway, enough of the microsoft sales lol... I think it might just be the inexperience of the user that is administrating the OS that would cause the problems.
As far as spyware, I have the programs available and would be able to e-mail them to you if needed. Or I can give you a link to an address where you would be able to download them off my server, and it would bypass the spyware page access problems. All you need is spybot, and a decent antivirus and you are set. HiJackthis is a more exprerienced user tool and I would not recommend anyone running it that does not know what to do.

-Austin