Originally posted by Megatel:
Good points... True there are no repeaters on the circuits, but they do have something very similar called a doubler. Same beast that does the same thing, just works differently.

What they are referring to as "high voltage" means that there is "span" power on it. Off the top of my head I'm going to say about 130VDC. Pretty hot and will knock you on your butt. Distance from the CO for these is not really an issue because of the doublers. I've seen circuits that had 5 or 6 doublers on them.

As far as the cost, I don't think there is a price difference on the circuits. IMHO, it's just a matter of preference or availability of pairs or equipment for the carrier.
Span power on Adtran units is 190 vDC.

I’m in the position where I’m the one to choose what T1 technology is deployed on a per circuit basis in my areas for the lil’ ol’ LEC I work for… I ALWAYS try to use HDSL2 first if it’s an option. That saves a pair (which is a huge deal) and with only one pair, it halfs the probability of a pair going bad.

As far as what the hardware costs… The HDSL4 is slightly more expensive per unit, so that’s another win for HDSL2 when is a viable option.

-----------------------
Bryan
LEC Provisioning Engineer
Cars -n- Guitars Racin' (retired racer Oct.'07)