Well, Verizon continues to dig in their heels on this issue. Here's a nice response sent to the customer by one of the senior people in charge of this dilemma. The customer isn't buying it though:

"Sorry that I am responding so late. Where we left this was your vendor was to get back with the equipment manufacturer to explore a solution.

Here are the details about the issue;

We all agree that this PRI is setup for NI2.
The NI2 standard defines how calls are passed from the PBX to the Verizon Switch;

If the PBX sets up a Call Type as Local, the PBX must send 7 digits.

If the PBX sets up a Call Type as National, the PBX must send 10 or 11 digits.

If the PBX sets up a Call Type as Unknown, the PBX could send 7, 10 or 11 digits.

Basically, the NI2 standard defines the language and specifications that allow the two switches to communicate.

What we found with the Protocol Monitor that we did on 5/5;

When 10 digits are dialed, the PBX sets up the Call Type as Local and sends 10 digits. This is in violation of the NI2 Standard.

When 7 digits are dialed, the PBX sets up the Call Type as Local and sends 7 digits. This is acceptable based on the NI2 Standard.

When 11 digits are dialed, the PBX sets up the Call Type as National and sends 11 digits. This is acceptable based on the NI2 Standard.

Calls are failing because the PBX is not setting up the call properly based on the NI2 Standard.
We looked at another customer's service that your vendor suggested was setup exactly like your system and we found that it was setup for NI1.
We attempted to set your service up as NI1 and your vendor could not get the PBX to bring up the PRI.

Based on our findings from the call on 5/5 with you and your vendor, the issue with your PRI service has been determined to be the PBX. There is nothing further that Verizon can do to correct this situation.

I am on vacation starting today. Please feel free to reach out to me on my cell phone if you have any questions, number below. There are additional center management personnel included on the PotomacMCO group list, included on this email. Brian should be able to get in-touch with someone from the center as well."

So, as you can see, I'm back to square one. Keep in mind that nothing was changed on our end. This situation just occurred over a weekend. I'm getting desperate here.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX