I hope these gentlemen have answered your question, but can I jump in for a little clarification (cuz I tend to complicate things and want to cover all bases)?

I had a residential client who was recently complaining that no one was able to leave a message on their home answering machine. The service they had was Verizon's FiOS.

The behavior was:

1. Call comes in and rings four times. Answering machine picks up.

2. Caller hears, "The time allotted for you to make a call has been exceeded. Please hang up and try your call again". Note that a similar, but differently worded message was heard when the call was made from a cell phone.

3. Lather, rinse, repeat. This nonsense goes on until the answering machine fills up with "The time allotted..." messages, but none from a real human.

4. Two hours on the phone with Verizon directing them to check cover points for RNA and all that jazz. Turns out that during a "weekend grooming" of their voice circuits, someone put in a Call Forward on Busy or No Answer to a 7 digit number (where 10 digits in that field are normally required).

It's a very, very long shot. But I thought I'd mention it in case you were experiencing anything at all like what I've described.

"Press play and record at the same time" -- Tim Alberstein