Originally posted by sph:
I think it's a BIG mistake to install a firewall and then "just forget it". Especially in a production environment. This is not a static environment. Every firewall release, left unattended, is a WASTING ASSET because it is immediately subject to hostile probing and odds-on to be compromised unless frequently updated to keep up with new attacks. You may be one of the lucky ones to avoid the attention of hackers/crackers, but in a business environment, can you afford to take the risk?
i think you misunderstood the entire point of what i was saying, sph. at no time did i suggest using freebie firewall software in a production environment; i was merely proposing a low-cost way of learning how these devices work.

oh, and ALL computer equipment is considered a wasting asset - your CPA can explain the term for you if you're confused.

"There is one thing and only one thing in which it is granted to you to be free in life, all else being beyond your power: that is to recognize and profess the truth." - Leo Tolstoy