Keep in mind that using CAT5 or 5E more than quadruples the actual length of the copper pair.

Put the DSL modem as close to the entrance point of the DSL service, then place a switched hub there to distribute the 10/100 networking from there. You'll obviously want to place the modem/switch as close to where the highest concentration of users is. With that being said, you can tap the phone line carrying the DSL nearly anywhere since it goes a lot farther than your LAN ouputs on the other side of the side of the modem.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you need to place the modem in a location that most easily allows you to extend the LAN connections elsewhere within 328 feet in a perfect world.

Don't forget that if you have to get down and dirty, you only need two pairs in CAT5/5E on pins 1,2,3 and 6 if necessary for TP Ethernet networking. It will work, but might not be perfect.

Maybe after you utilize the wiring that you have to work with and when the customer realizes the issues that may arise, they'll crack the checkbook open just a little bit wider to do it correctly.

I hate cutting corners in order to make it work, but often once you show the customer that it works marginally at minimal expense, they will soon realize that they need to do it right. Just keep it clear with them that you're doing your best to give them what they want within limited means.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX