I am not sure what you mean by a test. He sent me his login credentials and I setup one of the voicemails in my lab to use his ISP’s mail server. I think everyone is getting confused and it's not helping by posting things you do not know about.

If your ISP blocked port 25, you would not be able to send e-mail. Maybe they block port 25 for inbound traffic so you cannot run your own mail server, but that's not we were discussing here.

As far as the problem Ironhedz was having, he could not send out using the SMTP servers provided by his ISP. I looked up the necessary information for his ISP and they showed they used SSL for SMTP and he needed to send using port 465. As it turns out, the information I found was out dated and he needed to use port 25.

For those that have posted about opening ports and ports being blocked, that only applies to traffic that is coming into a server. The SVMi E-Mail Gateway uses SMTP to send the message.

Based on some of the replies here, I think many people have a misunderstanding how this works.

So... what is SMTP? Short for Simple Mail Transfer Protocol, SMTP is a protocol for sending e-mail messages between servers. Most e-mail systems that send mail over the Internet use SMTP to send messages from one server to another.

The messages can then be retrieved with an e-mail client using either POP or IMAP. In addition, SMTP is generally used to send messages from a mail client to a mail server.

In our case, the SVMi is the mail client that is sending the message to the SMTP mail server.