I agree with Hal. The communications trade has been around for over 100 years. Find a data/comm installer that knows: the difference between RG and RJ, what TIA 568B is, and knows your system requirements.

Two cat5e cables to each location is the minimum that we will place. This will allow for Gigabit Network connectivity and Voice (analog, digital and IP)Connection. The cost difference in 1000ft of cat3 vs cat5e should be minimal and is worth the money.

The type of termination, in the telecom closet, is determined by the output of the phone equipment. Terminate data jacks to an appropriate patch panel and voice to IDC blocks or patch panels. ALWAYS leave a 3foot service loop in your cable so that you can make changes in the future. Unless you have conduit to each location, consider this as important as buildings foundation. It can be very expensive to make a mistake.

Wiring is a broad term for many tasks. I would not want a residential electrician working the jet that I was about to board.

(Edited to remove contractor cost price quotation by original poster).