Tito1411:

I'm not looking for a debate, but perhaps you can provide me with some advice with regard to 5E being the standard. I am hitting a dead end on a project I'm trying to bid.

Is there any chance that you can connect me with a supplier of 400 pair, 24 gauge, type PE89 construction CAT5E cable? I need to connect two buildings about 200 feet apart. We need to extend approximately 250 analog extensions at a hospital into new space across the parking lot to another building. We will have to bury it around the perimeter of the lot.

The architect has called for 5E. Despite the fact that 5E is supposedly the standard, I can't find the stuff anywhere. My suppliers look at me as if I have three eyes when I ask for such cable.

I'll also need to find protected entrance terminals (and associated plug-in protection modules) that are 5E rated. I can't find those either. I'd be willing to use four 100-pair units at each end if necessary. If I did this, I'd need CAT5E splicing hardware to convert between the 400 pair 5E cable to the individual 100 pair 5E terminals. I can't seem to find that stuff either.

What do you do in these situations? I've never been faced with these requirements before and apparently it is new to all of my suppliers.

The electrical contractor on this job says they can do it, but unless I can find this supposedly standard hardware, I can't bid.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX