I vote for pre-terminated fiber also. Not only do you avoid the BET protectors at each end you also avoid the ground wire and any ground loops. You do it once and it's done and it's good for whatever they throw at it in the future.

One thing that I haven't addressed in awhile regarding outdoor data wiring is the effect of temperature on the cable specs and transmission speed. CAT* cable is made to be used and certify within a temperature range, roughly that encountered within a conditioned structure. I can't see how the extremes of temperature as you would expect outdoors in Maine would not have a negative impact on transmission speed. For that reason I just do not like running CAT5 cable exposed outdoors regardless of it being flooded and claimed to be for outdoor use.

Underground is considerably better in this respect if you bury it to a depth where the temperatures extremes are mitigated, but for the amount of money spent fiber is a much better alternative as it has none of these problems.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.