I do commercial and residential wiring however I'm a looooonnnngg way from BC. With that said, I would look long and hard before jumping into residential. Commercial wiring to me is much easier than residential and commercial customers are "more" likely to understand the expense of wiring. Residential customers always want the walls fished etc. but are not always understanding with the costs etc. On another note, if you do a good job you keep your commercial customers and you work on "your" wiring instead of always working behind someone else in residential. Unless you're like me, a rural area where if you don't do it all you don't eat. Then you do whatever you can.

As far as the connections. I just regular 4p4c wall plates unless there is data also run (which I always suggest). in that case, I use keystone inserts for both voice and data. And for the termination point, I NEVER use junction box to house my connections. I bring all of my wires to a central place near where the alarm system with terminate. As a last resort I make my connections in the attic (we don't have basements) but they are always accessible. I punch all voice wires down on a 66 block (they're cheap) and find that its much neater and faster than beanies. Then its also set up for any future changes that could be made. Again, I never place these in a JB. Thats the things you find in residential work and the JB is always located behind some piece of furniture that you can't get to. Good luck.