I think we have allowed cable manufacturers to convince us that computer data and phone data can't survive together inside the same cable jacket. We have forgotten that 10baseT was designed to work with exisiting telephone wire using spare pairs. On page 79 of my MSCE Networking Essentials Study Guide is a diagram of how to connect data to an existing telecom wiring scheme...this connection includes the use of 66 blocks and a patch panel.

There is a reason why you can buy cat5 e and cat 6 110 blocks.

Many years ago I did a very large wiring job for a mega church. They did not budget enough for the wiring so I installed cat5 and split it for voice and data. The phone system was 2 pair at the time. I contacted Allied Telesyn about using thier hubs (this was before switches) and what they thought of me splitting the pairs. They said that was what 10baseT was designed to do.

I punched down all the cables on cat 5 blocks and used cat 5 jumpers to patch panels. It worked just fine.

Now a days I don't split pairs unless I absolutly need to but when I do, I usually use an adapter made for this purpose. I have never had a problem whether its two computer connections or one tdm phone and a pc.

Of course splitting does not work with typical gigaspeed which does require all four pairs.

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

Retired, taking photographs and hoping to fly one of my many kites.