While I've never used one personally, I've read many positive comments about the RWC from other members on this board who's opinions I trust. By all accounts, this is a very good tool. The fact that the RWC is not a certification meter (and that is fact, not opinion) should not detract from it's usefulness as a troubleshooting tool. That said, the name is VERY misleading.

Fluke has an article about this topic. It really isn't just my opinion. smile

You absolutely cannot buy a certification meter for anywhere close to $500. Anything in that price range is going to be, at best, a qualification tester. A qualification tester may be exactly what you need! Don't buy a certification meter if you don't absolutely need one.

If you take on cabling contracts where you are contractually obligated to certify the installation, then you need to either shell out the big bucks on a certification meter or find one to rent. Using the RWC and telling a client that you've certified anything would be dishonest.

I've posted on this topic several times, so I'm not sure if there's anything else I can add. My previous posts are easy enough to find, just search for "Certification Meter".