I have recently embarked on a project to interface an Asterisk(TM) open-source PBX with our existing Iwatsu ECS. One of the functions that this new box will be serving is as a replacement to the ancient 4VML voicemail card currently in the cabinet. I duplicated the functions of the 4VML by writing an Asterisk dial plan, connected the Asterisk box to an eight-port analog card in the ECS cabinet and edited the Iwatsu's Voice Mail Integration settings to use the appropriate ports.

Everything is working well, with one exception. Any transfers, such when the greeting is played and a timeout sends the call to an ACD queue, results in an audible "click" to the caller. The same goes if the caller is transferred to an extension. This is because I'm currently using a flash to get the ECS's attention for the transfer. Obviously, this doesn't occur with the 4VML.

The techs at Morefield, who have been extremely helpful with this project, indicated that the 4VML is essentially a card with embedded analog ports so I'm surmising that it does the same thing.

That said, I want to ask the question: does the 4VML card actually flash to transfer or does it get the Iwatsu's attention via a super-secret in-band DTMF sequence, or perhaps via an out-of-band route included with that card?

I'd appreciate anything that anyone can offer to shed some light on how I can make transfers silent again.

Thanks in advance.

Barry