This used to be a Jones Intercable area--I remember when Cablevision of Manassas sold out to Jones Intercable, it was around the time this neighborhood was built. (I did the computer inventory for Cablevision of Manassas as part of that sale).

What's ironic is that I used to live in an older part of Manassas, built in 1983 before Manassas got cable, and I never had any problems there, despite the cable in the ground being likely 10 years older.

Since I moved to this neighborhood, it's been nothing but problem after problem after problem. In fact just today the transmit power on my cablemodem shot up to 60.8dBmV (from 43dBmV) and stayed there for 30 minutes, after it dropped offline and resynced. This has been an ongoing issue since May. They attempted to fix the problem by putting a lower value tap in, and yes that did help, but the wild power swings are still happening--they just don't knock the modem offline as much.

I've had multiple techs out to my house who can't do anything about the problem because it's a line problem--replacing modems, splitters, and cables isn't going to fix a problem that is clearly between the tap and the node.

I guess my only hope for getting this fixed is that whatever is causing the problem gets blown out by lightning so it has to be replaced...

...and these jokers are offering phone service? Hah.