In this case the building is about 3 blocks away and someone cut the 36 strands of SM fiber and 300 pair copper I had running to the building. The main service coming in to our main equipment room does have redundant fibers coming in to feed our OC3, OC12, OC48, and Mega-Link for data service. We are the main hub for the northern part of the state and feed other like National guard, state police and other hospitals.

It never seems to matter how much you do , you can not plan on everything. And in this case Sh@# happed. We were able to restore service in about 24 hours. Luckily the building working hours are 8:00 to 5:00 so we did the bulk after normal working hours.

But these guys didn't dial the 1-800 call before you dig number either and this is what happened. I even had signs made up with all the number to call before digging and placed them the entire route. They dug beside one of them with the infamous backhoe and cut the cables.

After talking with our LA one call people they told me that I can still expect to have a cable cut every 3 years even being a member with plats of our OSP cabling locations marked.

Mike Jones
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953