SPH -

I put in a lot of twinax, Also that dual coax Wang system - one BNC & one TNC. And all soldered!

Cable folk like that idea (MoCA) because it's what they use for a network - a Bus Topology. And yes it does resemble the thinnet network. But that wasn't the original ethernet. Before that it was "Thicknet" or "Goldenrod" - big fat coax run in a loop around the office. Individual host computers were connected to the bus with connectors called "vampire taps". eek

Personally I think that Bus Topology bites as a network - it's got too many possible failure opportunities. (Class E Fire Alarms also follow the same topology and I think that's really a danger - but no one really cares what I think anyway) laugh

And yes, I agree with you - coax ain't going nowhere. DS-3s go in with coax and while that might not register on a lot of people's radar, in some locales we do a LOT of DS-3 (everyone who can't bear to spring for fiber). When I did CNN's studios in Rockefeller Center, video went in on Coax and they had multiple screened Cat 6 cables at every desk!

Maybe I'm biased. Or more likely just old and cranky.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"