@ Lightninghorse,

I did measure the resistance across the little speaker and it was right around 20 Ohms. I could hear the speaker crackle a little bit when I touched the probes to the speaker terminals.

As far as the shell, surgery went well last night. Here is a photo of the unit the next day after stuffing the holes and welding with cyanoacrylic glue.

[Linked Image from i83.photobucket.com]

After hardening over night, this evening, I started to smooth out the holes. Don't laugh, but I used a diamond nail file. Yes, one of those cheap give-a-ways that are given as part of 'gift packages' to women when they attend conferences.

No, I am not a woman who goes to conferences, but my wife is, and she has dozens of those things. I snagged a couple, and put in my 'phone shell restoration box'. They are really perfect for this use, as the carrier metal is aluminium, and thus are quite flexible. Swiss needle files and diamond files are not nearly so flexible, so a lot of damage can be done to the surrounding plastic.

Here is a shot of the unit after I smoothed down the filled holes.

The plastic was not quite fully hardened yet, so I took the shell and placed it in a box along with a small saucer of water and placed that on top of my TTY powersupply that I turned on. (Cyanoacrylic has to have humidity to activate and cure. The TTY powersupply gets nice and (as I call it) "kitty sleeping" warm. (The resident felines love to nap on top of it when it is turned on.)

Tomorrow, if the plastic is fully hardened, it will be baptized by dishwasher, and I will then start the polishing process. (I do use the dishwasher quite a lot in my phone endeavors, so I am thinking about installing one in my future 'phone barn' this summer.

More to come!

Joe

Real comms took 200lb teletypes, hand keys, sounders, operators and cranked phones!