Jeff:

The 1D2 is Western Electric's last "dumb" coin telephone, still used largely by most Bell companies. It's the one with the coin return on the left and has the handset cord coming out of the front face of the phone rather than the side.

There are still plenty of them out there. As for your question, every Bell System part, even Band-Aids, ashtrays, cardboard boxes and trash cans had a nine-digit comcode for ordering purposes. Most comcodes that began with 4XX indicated that they were made by outside manufacturers. 1D2 is just a model/revision number, like a pink 2500 set which has it's own unique nine-digit comcode.

These phones are referred to as "dumb" because all of the call cost calculations were done by equipment in the CO. Aside from the obvious physical strength, they were just the equivalent of a 2500 set inside. Of course, they do have a coin accept/reject relay. Here's a picture of the one that I have in my basement. I'm sure that you've seen these before in Ohio Bell territory, or was that Ameritech, or was that SBC or was that at&t?

[Linked Image from i98.photobucket.com]

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX