Originally posted by Jeremy Wood:
I did not say that I knew for sure, but I suspect something when a 10Meg service is loading a buffer with a 35 minute wait.
Calm down there young'n, I'm not here to spar with ya. I'm just saying there's "more true many" ways to understand what you're seeing. Or maybe I have trouble understanding your writing.

Originally posted by dagwoodsystems:
From my reading, it appears that Sandvine does so by employing heavy SPI (apparently to the point where they can recognize the specific details of a P2P session). That's pretty clever, but this is a cat and mouse game. The service provider is ahead at the moment, but I suspect some smart guy will develop a new sharing algorithm that, for example, mimics popular game traffic, such as that of "Call of Duty 4".
I don't know if it's SPI per se, but they've definitely got the technology to do deep enough analysis to sort traffic by application and do it fast enough to handle being in the same rack as the BGP gear in a very large server room. I've heard a few good ideas for working around it but you're absolutely right: it's a cat & mouse game.

I'm curious to see if they keep going after the pirates or if their attention shifts when other activities take over the title of bandwidth hog.

"There is one thing and only one thing in which it is granted to you to be free in life, all else being beyond your power: that is to recognize and profess the truth." - Leo Tolstoy