Hi all,

Got the coiled handset cord looking new. Seems that the soak in hot soapy water not only cleaned it, but relaxed the coils, so that it looks like a new cord, not an old stretched out cord. I will get some ethanol tomorrow from the hardware store to soak it in.

I have the handset almost polished to my liking, but am waiting on some Novus 3 to arrive. I will re-polish with Novus 2 after the three, and it will be finished.

Is there anything that I need do to clean the transmitter and speaker? I figured a shot of canned air will get the dust out of the transmitter, and then I will polish the metal contact area with 2000 grit waterproof sandpaper. I guess what I need to know now is if it matters what terminal on the transmitter is red and black (assuming I am correct that the two white wires go to the speaker).

I have also cleaned and polished the plastic 'keys' as well as the switch hook buttons. I am about half way finished with the shell of the phone, and will hopefully have it finished by next week. (the discoloration was deep, but fortunately, one side was as green as the interior of the shell, so I have a comparison to go by)

Now here is the biggest question. The interior is dusty and has that "old time, dirty electronics smell" if you know what I mean. I am going to send the dial to the gentleman in Arizona to be cleaned and adjusted, but Should I take everything else out to clean? I am thinking that after forty years that the switch contacts need to be burnished, (just ordered a burnishig tool for this). Will I be able to get it back together if I do take it appart?

Any suggestions at this point are most welcom. This is not a "rare" (despite any e-pay sales pitch) or valuable phone, but I do want to learn how to do this sort of thing.

Thank you very much in advance!

Joe

Real comms took 200lb teletypes, hand keys, sounders, operators and cranked phones!