I do have to ask a question about NEC requirements on this: It states that the code does not apply to federal government installations. This building is owned by the Feds. Does this stipulation apply to installations by federal employees or to installations within federal buildings by outside contractors? Should we discuss this with Mr. Holt's people?

Actually you just did, I just came from over there. The answer is to ask the AHJ what codes apply. There should also be something in the RFP specs that you got from them. There is nothing in the NEC that exempts federal buildings but the feds might exempt themselves from the NEC in whole or in part I would assume.

This does sound like a life-safety system from what you said. Is there a design for this or did they just dump it on you to do a design-build? If so what do the specs say? I believe Life-Safety is covered by NFPA 101 (The NEC is NFPA 70). Something also to talk over with the AHJ and fire marshal. What is required in govermental buildings? If it is Life-Safety it's probably best to sub it out to a company who has experience in that area.

-Hal

Last edited by hbiss; 04/13/13 10:54 PM.

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.