An update to this topic. A few weeks ago, I posted a comment on CommScope's Facebook page. The post mentioned how I have been generally pleased with my Systimax purchases (which I have been), except for this CAT3 cable.

Yesterday, CommScope contacted me advising that someone from their Customer Service department would be in touch today.

This morning, Jonathan call me to discuss the situation.

He confirmed much of what has been said here:

. It is common practice for CAT5 cable to be labeled and sold as CAT3.
. CAT3 cable doesn't sell as well as CAT5, CAT6 and CAT6A
. Teflon is used for insulating conductors in higher rated cable products while PVC is used for lower.
. Low pair count CAT3 will...at some point...go away
. High pair count CAT3 will continue to be sold and should look and behave like traditional CAT3 cable.

He did ask why I prefered CAT3 over CAT5 and I mentioned the lack of conductor twisting makes CAT3 ideal for 66 block termination. If you want to terminate CAT5 to a 66 for digital and analog voice applications, you have to untwist and smooth out 8 wires prior to punching down onto a 66 block.

All in all, it was a good conversation. I did not intend to make what happened into a major production/issue. I just want to get word out so that anyone who orders 4 pair CAT3 cable from CommScope is aware that they may find relabeled CAT5 inside the box.

I Love FEATURE 00