It was easy to find all the 8 ohm speakers "glommed" onto the 70 volt lines.

Even faster is to disconnect the speaker line from the amp and put 120v on it. Heck, you won't even have to remove them after that. devil

Need to check the speaker grid to make sure I don't have a problem that the new amp will not like.

Searching locally to see if to see if another contract has impedance meter I can borrow for a while.

Probably a good idea but I wouldn't go out of my way right yet if you don't have an impedance meter. How many and what kind of speakers are there anyway?

Connect the new amp and see what it does. Watch the clipping indicator as you increase the level. If it illuminates with little output from the speakers you have a problem. If you get proper volume at a reasonable gain setting everythings probably OK. Walk around and listen to each speaker. If you have one that is a lot louder than the others it's probably one without a transformer.

These amps are pretty well protected and as long as you don't leave them connected to a dead short and crank the level up they will be OK. That old amp died from old age NOT from a speaker problem. There should have been a hum problem long before those caps self destructed so your customer should have known something was up long ago.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.