I'm 30. I'm about 6 years in to an IT career....but there's something nagging at me. I've always enjoyed telecom work a whole lot more. In my current job, I do get to maintain and perform moves/adds/changes to our customer's phone system, but general IT work is the bulk of what I do. We sell IP phone systems as well, though I installed what will likely be our last on-premise system last fall. Everything since then has been hosted, which comes almost entirely pre-configure. Changes are quick and simple....entry level employees can make changes. There's no challenge in it at all.....and a lot of it is junk.

I'm at a dead end at the firm I am with now, and it's time to move up and out. I've already started working with some recruiters, but honestly, I would rather move to doing telecom full time. Where do I go from here? Is there even much of a future in selling, installing, and maintaining phone systems? I'm sure we are going to see on premise equipment, especially in large installations, for some time. But even that will start to disappear. Am I crazy in wanting to make this jump?

I did have dumb luck and was approached about a position administering a large Avaya system and a dozen or so Nortel BCM's, earlier this spring. They were even going to pay for Avaya training / certification.....unfortunately their budget got cut before I could even start.

Is this doable.....or should I stick it out in IT?

Last edited by Andyreed; 12/16/16 02:25 AM.