I recently started work at a site that has poorly maintained copper and management does not care except to keep the phone service going (they do not want to pay for fiber). My experience and knowledge of pset phones is limited. Here are two of the major issues I am having there:
1) A pset line went dead and I called the provider to fix it on their end after I successfully tone out on the line on my end. The service I was told was brought back up, yet when I plug in a pset phone (Nortel, asstra, 5208, or 5216, etc) for example no dial tone. When I plug in a cortelco phone I was able to hear a dial tone (and get phone service). Why is that? Did the provider switch me over from digital to analog? How do I get the pset to work again?
2) A users pset was acting weird. It was going on hook and off hook randomly. It could not make DID calls, only outside calls, speakerphone will go on/off. I replace the unit 3x and still the same issue. I move the units to a another pset jack and no problems noted. So what is going on?