Ha ha, Dave and Hal!

I'm going to have to disagree for a few reasons. First, it's hard to maintain a uniform standard of different colors. That means you have to tote around several spools just for what is perceived to be a convenience. If there was a national color standard, then by all means, it should be followed by everyone. If someone comes up with their own unique set of colors, the next technician that comes along isn't going to know what they were thinking. It's all about block markings and effective use of a toner at that point.

Secondly, I seriously doubt if anyone is going to walk two blocks or down a dozen floors just to get the "correct" color of jumper wire. Be honest, you're going to run that one unexpected jumper using what you have or what you find in the closet.

Third, what's to stop your supplier discontinuing your color(s) of choice? That actually happened to me a few years back when I standardized with yellow/red for digital stations and yellow/blue for analog stations or CO lines. The manufacturer (General Cable) stopped making yellow/red in quantity, and my suppliers stopped carrying it for this reason. We now just use yellow/blue for everything. Anyone who knows what they're doing shouldn't have to rely upon unique jumper colors to do their job.

Lastly, most of our competition uses white/blue for everything. Bell uses yellow/blue for everything. On our installs, it's easy to spot if the customer has had someone else in there working on our systems. Verizon technicians sure aren't going to be messing with station jumpers, so it's not likely that their yellow/blue will ever be an issue mixing with ours.

My thing is more about the quality of the cross-connect wire. Yes, you can buy cheap white/blue anywhere, but it's loosely-twisted and often falls apart if you don't pay it out from the spool properly. Who's going to worry about how the spool is dispensed? Nobody. The result is loosely-twisted pairs that snag on anything in sight. I prefer type F cross connect wire, which maintains a CAT3 twist level and has more robust wire insulation. Sure, it costs more, but unless you're buying miles of it at a time, a $10.00 difference in the cost of a spool isn't going to break the bank. Besides, I used to buy a dozen spools a month. Now it's more like a dozen per year.

Yes, type F is available in many different color combinations.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX