Not from California, but as a former GTE employee (who had a large presence in CA) we used to get GTEPs (GTE practices) concerning mounting equipment (especially Central Office frames and cabinets). There was always an addendum for CA that called for earthquake bracing. As I recall they were pistons, kind of like shock absorbers.

I may be able to dig that up if you're interested. As far as a "code" requirement, I don't think the NEC would have much to say about a data rack. BICSI or the EIA/TIA? Maybe. I'll look.

Usually something on wheels is considered temporary and/or portable. I can't imagine any self-respecting or reputable data center allowing something to be put on wheels just to bypass a mounting requirement. And without cable rack/tray how do the cables get to the rack? Laid across the floor? Seems kind of sleazy to me.

In NYC we always bolted a rack down with at least 3/8" bolts. In COs and "Internet Hotels" (Level 3, Global Crossing) it was either ½" or ¾" bolts - all with double expansion anchors. If it was on a raised floor then we used the appropriate sized threaded rod and went down to the slab.

Sam

Last edited by Silversam; 02/03/17 12:35 PM.

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"