Here, in Western PA, all the IT weenies are pushing VoIP and Cloud.
Of course, SIP is making inroads as well. The problem is that most of these companies DO NOT need VOIP, Cloud and SIP. A traditional digital system, either Key or PBX often, provides more features and is a magnitude greater in reliability than the LAN based systems. The main reason is people in Western PA are extremely provincial. They will purchase this "Whizz Bang" VoIP, Cloud, SIP abortion and NOT upgrade their LAN wiring or switches. Many times we walk in and find a few hundred POE power supplies connected to VoIP phones instead of the POE coming from the switches.

We, on average, remove VoIP, Cloud, SIP systems at a rate of 2 a month. In 2016 we removed 30 and replaced them with traditional digital systems WITH the option to go VoIP if they ever want to do that. Our ESI systems come as VoIP ready, so we, occasionally, will install a system and find that a few areas have network but no phone cabling. In those instances, we will use VoIP.

As I have stated before, I would be cautious about Cloud and SIP only because no one knows what is going to happen with Net Neutrality. If the government gets into the taxing of data usage, the advantage of VoIP, Cloud and SIP may vanish or become less attractive. Beside that issue, I have not, as yet, seen a VoIP, Cloud, SIP system with more features and reliability than that of a traditional digital system.

As far as SIP is concerned, the most ratty and poorest quality voice is on SIP. Sorry, but that is THE main reason people call us and want their "High Tech VoIP, SIP" system yanked and replaced with something that they can "Hear The Caller Clearly."

Rcaman

Last edited by Rcaman; 02/06/17 12:23 PM.

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet