Up until 2007 I worked for a business phone co. that had mostly modems for remote access. Back then I had T&R from telco at home and would could access systems reliably via dialup. I then worked for a retailer where the PBXs with serial/modem access used a Digi-Server, which was an ethernet to serial converter. I rarely had to connect to a PBX with a serial cable. Since every store throughout the country was part of our network, any could be accessed if the IP was known. When on call I'd VPN into our network and connect from there.

Last year the retailer stared downsizing big time, eliminated many I.T./Telecom positions, including mine. Now I'm working for a business phone co. again. Ironically - as technology has progressed I've found remote access has become more difficult because of it. We do use LogMein for a few accounts, but many that were previously accessible via dialup modems are not, or intermittent at best due to VoIP or cable co. provided lines. I no longer have T&R and home (have Ooma) or at the office. I'm told a modem connection with Ooma or any most other VoIP service with an A.T.A just isn't going to work. The T1 quality in the office I believe is adequate.

I haven't tried yet - but was told a system with analog lines through a cable co. ATA such as Arris probably will not allow a reliable modem connection. I wonder what others have done as a workaround, if any? At times I'm driving over an hour for a change that takes a minute on site. I'm thinking we should invest in the serial to ethernet adapters, which requires the customer to have a public IP address for access off site. The good 'ol days of a reliable connection at 9600 baud almost seems like a luxury.