Enjoy reading this site, lurking about 8 years now of and on, finally need to make a first post to get some info --

If I were to put a DC voltmeter across a pair of telephone wires (direct from the pole, no NID or other anything else attached) should that measure ~48VDC if POTS and DSL is active on the line?

Moved into a new house, ordered POTS and DSL... I've got 3 cables at the side of the house, 6 pairs, two are aerial drops and one rises up out of the ground... one 30 year old crusty NID on the house, and a shadow where another likely existed years ago but since removed. 1 of the aerial drops is connected to the NID, opening the the telco side of the NID I probe both pairs from the drop and they measure 0VDC. The other 2 cables I stripped back to bare copper, all 4 pairs measure 0VDC.

According to the phone company everything should be working on their side. They are dispatching a tech, but have cautioned me up and down that I'll be charged some expensive hourly rate if the problem isn't on their side, so I want to be sure I've done my diligence as best I can.