Y'all are making me jealous.... Manchester has zero fiber to the premise from any provider. Consolidated (CC) is using VDSL where the infrastructure can support it. ADSL everywhere else. CC's prices are decent, but speeds are slow once you get more than about 10 blocks from the local CO. On the outskirts where I am, the best CC can offer is 3Mbps using the old ATM dsl tech. The only other provider in town is Comcast. Their service is -ok- but their prices are insane. Neither can offer synchronous up and down speeds. Even if you opt for Gig from Comcast, the upload speed is capped at 40 megs.

We have Comcast at my house, service tier is 250/10, it averages 300/12, so hooray for the overachievers at Comcast. It's right around $100 a month give or take a few bucks. If CC had fiber out my way and could offer me 100/100 for the same price I'd dump Comcast in a New York minute.

The last Consolidated tech I talked to said they were working on upgrades throughout the city as time goes on, essentially doing a FTN thing, and then replacing the copper from there to the terminals so they could roll out VDSL around most of the city. Manchester has been plagued with really bad copper for years now. When we switched from Comcast to CC at the bar I do work for, the tech had to go through about 15 pairs to find three good ones for our 2 DSL dry loops and the one voice line. He was the same tech that told me about their gradual FTN roll-out. Nice guy, knew his business. He said the number of bad pairs in the ducts coming out of the CO was just incredible. He was telling me that it's going to be slow going because the condition of the infrastructure in Manchester is just so bad. He didn't give me numbers, but he said it's going to be a long, expensive process to get the cabling in this city up to where it needs to be. I guess from Verizon leaving it in such bad shape and then handing it over to Fairpoint, who never had the money to fix it, it just has gotten worse with each passing year.

Here's another kicker. About a mile up the road from me is a large subdivision/apartment complex thing. When that was built, whoever was the LEC at the time, (NYNEX or Bell Atlantic maybe) put in one of those little buildings near the end of the road going into the complex. I don't know what you call it, its maybe the same footprint as a two car garage. Anyway, its fiber fed from the CO downtown. So.... All those apartments and townhouses have access to 80+ Mbit VDSL, since all they had to do was stuff the equipment in that little building and hitch it up to -presumably- spare fibers in the cables going back to the Concord Street CO. But since I live on the old existing street, our cables don't go near that shed, and instead go all the way 6+ miles back to Concord Street. So we have to wait.

Can a guy get a little fiber love?