So this single board 1a2 KSU project continues to move along; I'm at revision H now (progressing through the alphabet). Thought I'd update with some pics related to these board's assembly process.

Regarding the large amount of cabling when interlinking two of these cards for a total of 8 phones, I found if I simply arrange the boards side by side, one board's connectors can act as a wire comb for the cables of the board above it, making for a nice clean/flat cable run for all 8 phone cables:

[Linked Image from seriss.com]

Here's what about $350 worth of press-fit amphenol connectors looks like from the supplier (there's actually two levels here, for a total of 40):

When you have that many connectors to mount, one has to get formal with the board assembly procedure.
Had to buy a small drill press to press-fit the Amphenol connectors onto the board, as it was getting to be a real problem to press them on just using a clamp and a jig. Here's a pic of the drill press with the two jigs used to press all those connectors onto the boards (I used 4 per board):

I put the board on the lower jig, put this onto the drill press, and then wind the drill press handles down so that the upper hardwood board presses the connector down onto the board.
Here's a closeup of the two jigs:

It takes a lot of pressure, which to be expected so they don't pop out when the phone connectors are connected/unconnected during use.

And here's 1 of the 2 boxes of relays 50 relays each ordered recently (4 of these relays are used per board), the two boxes together was about $400: