Does anyone know if the 656/657 key strips for the Call Director can be disassembled to extract buttons and button collars for cleaning, These are slightly newer than 598/599 strips but with the same "older style" clear buttons, not the large buttons of newer Call Directors with plastic caps on them.

Structurally 656 look the same as 599, except wide use of plastic in the body - the whole metal part with button mechanics (cast metal on 598/599) is replaced with white plastic piece which looks a single piece with the upper part of lamp and button holder. And there are no corresponding screws holding the two together.

I was not able to find a way to extract the buttons and collars for cleaning. However, they should have been installed there somehow during the assembly?

Or how in this case discussed special service color buttons (green, blue, amber and purple) would be installed there? Probably Arthur would know how they installed I-hold on such. Or was it a separate key strip with factory pre-installed buttons. I have not found those in any of BSPs.

Both Reagan and older Bush used the white older style call directors throughout 80s. And they did have color buttons installed in different positions. I doubt they have been provided with refurbished production from 60s-early 70s, since I never saw 599/598 newer than those - I suppose they were replaced in MFG by 656/657 and later with 635-type strips.

Also what was expected for cracked buttons/collars? To replace the whole strip?

656 Key Strip