Our existing customer (a hospital) recently purchased an Ascom wireless nurse communications system for about 50 users. The sales/installers requested that we provide a tie line between our system (Vodavi XTS-IP600) via an ISDN/PRI circuit. We set this up with no issues, pointed a block of four-digit extension numbers to their system, including 50 matching DID numbers. As for tie lines via PRI, we really weren't offered many choices, so we tried all four (Tie, tie/ANI, tie/DNIS and proprietary PPNI2). PPNI2 is a proprietary protocol used for tying to another XTS system. Calls between the systems include not only the calling party number (internal or external), but some header information to identify the type of call, etc. That protocol was the only one that the Ascom installer liked. He was able to make their equipment work with it by stripping off most of the leading digit information in their translations. Well, we thought it was working.

The customer has now determined that in the sales process, they didn't purchase enough transmitter units to provide full coverage for the hospital. This is causing all kinds of erratic call issues. Still, they claim they're having issues with handsets that are well-within a coverage zone. I say that we deliver raw call data and that's all we can do. They are asking us to work with them to overcome the issues they are having.

Is anyone here familiar with Ascom? I know nothing about it other than to provide what they asked us for. They have sent me some call trace logs, but they make no sense to me. I'm seeking two more cents' worth of knowledge that I can throw back at them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX