With retirement age approaching I've been making plans to downsize and cut expenses. For home phone service I have Ooma, which is very good. I could keep that and not renew Premium next year which this year cost $133. There's also a monthly fee of about $6.50. I don't want to use a cell phone at home, when I'm home it's usually off. When I bought this house 37 years ago I installed phones all over the place connected to what is now a modified 1A2 system. With the cell phone I recently cut data down (which I rarely use) to 1 gig a month and saved about $10/mo.

I had magicJack for a while about 12 years ago. That version had to be plugged into a PC and I couldn't even get phone number in my are code. They seemed to have improved, reviews are surprisingly favorable on an electronics retailer's website. Of course, searching for reviews will uncover many that rate the service poorly. Some lacking features are no name with Caller ID. I don't get many calls these days, so that's not a big deal.

The cost of magicJack is considerably less than Ooma. I wonder has anyone here used it recently, and would it be recommended? I'd trust telecom reviews here more than anywhere else.

Last edited by Keyset6; 05/22/22 02:37 PM.