I had assumed this would be a more professional forum that didn't resort to name calling and insults. No, I am NOT a "skilled" technician, but in this area they are fairly scarce and I've moved SEVERAL phone systems without any issues. While I don't disagree with the above comments, they aren't very helpful in the current situation. Yes it is a lesson learned, yes it is at my clients expense, yes I will take better care in the future to prevent these situations, and yes I will inform my client of the cause in this case. None of that fixes THIS problem now however. I'm a little amazed that the default from a bad battery is to have a completely non-operational phone system. If it just lost the configuration and had to be redone that isn't a big deal. Seems more to me a poor design by Inter-Tel.

Now, in a productive stream. Is there any way to determine the database version? Does it HAVE to come from an Inter-Tel tech? Is there a "start from scratch" procedure available online?

For the record, if the battery was dead, and their previous office had lost power long enough for the battery backup to not maintain the phone system in a powered on state, then this same situation would have occurred? Sounds to me like this may have been a good way to find this out as having it just happen out of the blue would have been very troublesome, while in this situation we were aware there might be some issues.

Just my thoughts on it all. I'm sure every tech out there at one time or another wasn't "skilled" in every phone system and had to learn via the school of hard knocks.

Greg

Greg Hicks
Tekamba Computers, LLC
[email protected]