Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
tarun Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi,

I had a phone company switch over from AT&T to Comcast. Once they completed the installation the system is receiving all incomming phone calls,but cannot dial out,when i try to dial out i get dial tone but the number does not dial out. I tried from the switchboard,from the room, same problem. The installation guy dialed from their box and he was able to dial out from comcast box.
He said there might be some programming needed in the system. Is he right can a phone system stop making calls if we have a switch in the service provider. can somebody help

thanks

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Welcome aboard to our forum. We will help you as best we can.

First of all, your phone system didn't (and shouldn't) change. The local service provider changed. The new service provider (Comcast) dropped the ball. Changing telephone service providers should equate to changing water service providers if it's done correctly. The water should still flow from the tap.

Trunks on a Mitel switch are polarity-sensitive. A yokel with a test set can dial out all day long, regardless of the polarity since test sets are not polarity-sensitive.

Most competitive service providers (for reasons unknown) deliver trunks with reversed polarity. You need to demand that they ensure that tip is positive and ring is negative. If the technician is confused by this terminology, which he probably will be, just ask him to reverse the pairs on each trunk. You'll probably be good to go after that.

If polarity isn't the issue, your system may have been configured for pulse-dialing on outgoing calls. Many motel owners capitalized on the small monthly savings for trunk costs by not paying the Touch-Tone fee. It may be possible that your new service is only set up to receive tone dialing and ignores pulse dialing.

Please let us know if this information helped or what ended up solving you problem.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Hi Tarun,
I could be that the SX-50 has been programmed to use pulse's instead of DTMF tone's

Thanks,
Daniel

It could be as simple as the previous trunks were loop start and the new ones are ground start (or vice versa). In any case ED is correct - if they matched their new trunks to their existing trunks they should be working. If the person who sold the service did not verify this they dropped the ball. This is definitely a dial tone provider problem.

Just because you are getting dial tone when you dial 9 means nothing - chances are the switch is using ARS instead of direct trunk group access and so the dial tone you hear is ARS dial tone not CO dial tone.

If you can tell us how many trunks you have and what slot in your system the trunk card(s) is/are in then we can tell you how to direct access the trunks which will get you a GIANT step closer to diagnosing the problem.

RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
Ok, I'm going to make several observations that will probably come back to haunt me. There are several correct answers here. An SX50 trunk set to ground start will still detect and present to the answer point incoming calls on loop start lines. I'm assuming you are not getting any alarms on incoming calls, which indicates the polarity is correct. All that pretty well confirms Ed's statement.
Dane's statement about ARS is probably also true. Dialing 9 (or 8 or whatever the trunk sieze code is) will present a false dial tone. When you dial a call that is normally completed, you probably get a long delay as the SX50 tries to draw dial tone from every trunk. Eventually, you will probably hear reorder. If you have a console it will start showing alarm. If you push and hold the ALARM button, you will probably see "AL10 (or 11 or 12) plus some cryptic digits that will mean nothing to you and a lot to us. If the cabinet is provisioned in the Mitel recommended manner, there will be a 2-digit code in the range of 57 to 80. As well, another code of 8, 9, or 10. Write down these codes, post them here, and we MAY be able to help you. By the way, each time you push the ALARM button, you silence the alarm for 1 problem. If you have 4 programmed trunks in the group that ARS tries to use, push and release ALARM 4 times and it will quit ringing. But it will stay lit. If you dial *31 or *32, you will have cancelled the info we need. NOW, read this 3 or 4 times, get a scratchpad and try making a call so the alarms display, then write down the details and get back to us. Good luck, and we'll be looking for your response. I'm on the EAST coast, so if you are lost, PM me and I'll give you a number to call AFTER 4PM EDT and BEFORE 10P EDT! John C. (Not Garand)

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
John, breathe in, breathe out. I'll bet you it's simply a change from ground to loop or vicey-vercey. Bet you a tall one. :toast:

I don't think so. Loop-start settings (48 volts) on a ground start trunk will cause continuous ringing which has not been a complaint. A ground start trunk is electrically dead until an incoming call arrives or a ground is placed on the tip to request an outgoing call.

My vote is pulse dial trunk settings on the SX while the CLEC's channel bank is not configured or capable of translating pulse digits.

Then again, I'd tend to think that if this problem persisted, the original poster would have been back by now. I think that the CLEC figured it out.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Dan, I agree and that's what I said in my post. But, the rest of the post would be valid ig G/S ports are connected to L/S trunks.
Ed, not true on Mitels, for some reason, except on 200D/Lite/EL, if they are programmed to not expect ringing, only start pulse. However, I'd bet that cool one, that Dan mentioned, that you are correct about the LEC getting their ducks in a row! smile John C. (Not Garand)

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
I have Mitel SX-50 install with 4 Lines. I started to have problem with outbound call at the motel in last 3 days now.
I get calls in from all the number when i call the motel from cell phone but can't make any calls from the motel on 3 lines.
At&t came and checked all the line they said the problem is with our system and all line are up.
I keep getting an alarm on the main display right after i try to make a call out.( When i dial 9 for outside line, no dial tone come). Get this 3 different messages...

" A 11 0073 NO TRUNK SEIZE ACK. 10/01"
" A 11 0074 NO TRUNK SEIZE ACK. 10/02"
" A 11 0075 NO TRUNK SEIZE ACK. 10/03"

When this 3 trunks get busy out i am able to get a dial tone and call out on trunk 76 which is the 4th line.

If you can help me it would be a grate help.

Please start a new topic for your problem. Thanks

Retired phone dude

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,287
Posts638,793
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,299 Shoretel
188,996 CTX100 install
187,388 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 7
dexman 5
dans 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 161 guests, and 402 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024