Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#12626 08/27/06 04:50 PM
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
I doubt that you will see much of anything but DMS switches in Bell Canada territory. They practically invented them when they were spun off on their own back in the 1970's from the US Bell System. My guess, and it's only a guess, is that it might mean DMS Hub office with remotes? Maybe you could try sending a PM to AnthonyH. He works with them from time to time and might know.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#12627 08/28/06 01:13 AM
I was able to find some info on this exchange

The Switch is a DMS100, as ED said most offices in the area probably are.

I am not familiar with the "Local Link" service, I sounds like it may be some type of Centrex service, but I am just guessing at that.

From what I understand Canada's CID info works a little different then it does in the US. I found an article that may help explaine it a bit.

"7. I'm in Canada, why doesn't my Caller ID work?

Yes, there is a country where things are more complicated than the UK. Most people think that Canada uses Bellcore, just like the USA. It does - almost. For some reason, the former Stentor member companies use a non-standard implementation of MDMF. Bellcore uses DN (Directory Number), usually the 10 digit number that includes the area code found in the phone book. Stentor uses DDN (Dialable Directory Number), a variable length number that is the number that must be dialed to call the other person
back (ie local calls don't include area code, long distance includes the preceding "1"). Normal Bellcore MDMF identifies each part of a message with a Message Type Word parameter, and the DN is assigned Parameter Type 02. The Canadian Stentor switches assign DDN to 03.
This is incredibly confusing for anything that only looks for the DN in 02, and this includes Unimodem (see below). Some modem drivers (and Canadian phones and caller ID boxes) check for both DN and DDN and will display either - 3Com ones for instance (and is there a general patch, perhaps for Unimodem?). Otherwise, you just have to avoid TAPI and use software that specifically knows about this quirk - Identafone is one, but most Canadian authors seem to have found out about this the hard way ;-). The relevant document was called Stentor document ID-0001 "CALL MANAGEMENT SERVICE (CMS) CALLING NUMBER DELIVERY (CND) (Single and Multiple Message Format) Terminal-to-Network Interface". Following the upheavals in the Canadian telecom market it is now Bell Interface Document BID-0001 and will cost you CAN$50 to download. Incidentally, Stentor's standard also allows for a Parameter Type 06, which includes a flag that indicates that the call is long distance and CallerID is not available, but it may no longer be in use. "

The page I found this on is:
https://www.ainslie.org.uk/callerid/cli_faq.htm

I hope this helps a bit

I Swear I did not touch anything bash
#12628 08/28/06 01:30 AM
AW what seems to be your issue?

Local link is not Centrex. It is a standard 1FB POTS line with a packaged bundle of features...

caller ID
3 way calling
call answer
call forward

FYI Bell Canada calls their PRI service Mega-link.

Yes 99% of Bell Canada use DMS100 switches. As Anthony said Bell Canada was the parent company to Bell Northern Research (BNR) and Northern Telecom (Nortel) in the 70's and 80's where the DMS was born.

I've never had any issue with Caller ID or TAPI applications.

Marv CCNA, CTUB
TeleMarv Services (Retired)
Providing telecommunication solutions in Ottawa Canada since 1990
#12629 08/28/06 02:52 AM
AWTech Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you all very much for the help. I think anthonyh found what I was looking for. I could not find the standard detailing the spec for the error code being generated (Parameter Type 06).
I'm pretty sure I can get a hold of a copy the Stentor document and detail the spec.

"Growing Old is Inevitable, Growing Up is Optional"
#12630 08/28/06 12:37 PM
AWTech Offline OP
OP Offline
Not to drag out the thread, but I did have a copy of the Bell doc already, with no mention of type 6. I found a copy of the Stentor doc and a related document descibing (just as above) the "L" for long distance.

Just wanted to thank everyone for helping out.

"Growing Old is Inevitable, Growing Up is Optional"
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,287
Posts638,787
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,109 Shoretel
188,988 CTX100 install
187,373 1a2 system
Newest Members
A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww, gohunt
49,766 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 22
teleco 5
dexman 4
dans 4
Who's Online Now
4 members (teleco, justbill, Toner, Carl Navarro), 110 guests, and 171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024