Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Spin-off question:

Is the customer always right?

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

I wouldn't speak for someone else but I think
DTMF will agree with me as we've discussed this many times.
"We have no problem firing a customer".
Some may argue that the "right way" is only a guide line, that may be but regardless there are some jobs
that either due to the nature of the job or the person dictating exactly how it is to be done,
you just have to walk away and wish them luck. :bang:
JM2C. :banana:

I think any company that literally applies that axiom won't be in business for very long, especially in todays business climate. Unfortunately there are customers out there who want "what they want, when they want it" and for nothing. They couldn't care less about you or whether you make any money.

I learned a long time ago that there are customers who will be grateful for what we provide and understand that it comes at a price. I also found that there are others with whom the only thing that seems to register in their mind is cost, yet they still expect you to bend over backwards for them for nothing. It is the latter customer that will suck the life out of any business.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Originally posted by hbiss:
It is the latter customer that will suck the life out of any business.

-Hal [/QB]
I couldn't agree more. I don't mind bending over backwards for my good customers. The other customers just want you to bend over.

I had a customer the other day call up and complain about phones costing more from us rather than getting them from the internet. I told him fine get them from the internet and have us install them. He calls two days later saying that there was a problem with one of the phones...I told him to call the internet seller. All I heard was a loud click. Two days later he called again saying that it was a phone WE installed that was now having issues..LOL..I told him, and it's the truth, that we maintain serial numbers of all phones we install and if it wasn't one of our phones he would be charged for the new phone and the trip and site charge. Again a large click on the phone...needless to say he won't be offered a maint contract.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
The Internet is a fantastic tool that has brought exciting new capabilities to virtually everyone. Unfortunately, it has also shot the concept of good old customer service full of holes. It's difficult for people to understand that there's a lot more involved in a phone (or a door knob for that matter) than packing it up and shipping it. There's support, there's warranty, there's inventory, overhead, etc. I will bet that many times, our price is higher because we have to charge sales tax. On the other side of this, the Internet sellers usually charge for shipping. In the end, it's likely that the phone ends up costing the same.

True, the customer is always right in many instances, but it has to be within reason. I think that a large part of these problems is that the seller (us) doesn't do a good job of communicating things with the customer. This invites misunderstandings.

As much as I hate to side with them, Verizon does a good job of making the customer aware of potential charges when you call for repair service. They make it clear that there will be a charge if there's an inside wiring problem. There can be literally be fire shooting out of their network interface, but they still cover themselves by making absolutely sure that the customer understands up front.

So many times, we fail to do this and it ends up kicking our butts. Most business people understand the costs associated with doing business. Those who don't, or refuse to are the few exceptions. I guess what I am trying to say is that customer service is a two-way street. If we cover ourselves up front with extra questions or dialogue, it's worth a ton of saved frustration later.

This concludes today's Customer Service 101 class.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
clap clap clap :banana: :banana: :db: :db:

I've always though that it's in the customer's best interest to maintain a good relationship with his/her vendors.

On the telecom side, I am the customer and beleive me, even if the problem resides with the LEC it's really my issue. The employees in the company I work aren't calling Verizon when there's a problem, they are calling me.

I try to provide as much information as I can to get the problem resolved as quickly as possible. I think this is a win-win for all involved.

I have found that when I have a solid relationship with the support folks I deal with, they are often willing to help me out in a tough situation, even if the problem is not on their end.

Sometimes you carpe diem, sometimes your diem gets carped.
Well said, Steve. Service issues don't make anybody rich but it's important that they be resolved. The proverbial "one hand washing the other".

I don't buy from the cheapest supplier out there, in fact I buy from likely the most expensive one. Why, you ask? Because I know I can count on them through thick and thin whether I am buying one widget or a thousand. That's what it's all about---support.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
KLD Offline
Amen, Brother Ed. Pricing has a price --- QoS.

I know I'm not the cheapest and definitely not the best, but I have taken care of my customers for decades, now I have second and third generation customers. I get referrals that just want a "ball park" bid, some that just say "Do it". And the payment is there. Then there is the guy who wants every screw and staple itemized. They want it their way, not the correct way. And they take too long to pay. Who do you think I fire?

Same for vendors. Price is not everything. Do they have it on the shelf? I've had a salesman have material UPS Overnight to his home, and then deliver it himself, on a Saturday. Not the cheapest place in town. His service was great, where do you think I spent my money?

Brother Ed, the sermon is back to you -------

Ken
---------
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,290
Posts638,801
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,367 Shoretel
189,041 CTX100 install
187,402 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 22
teleco 6
dexman 5
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 90 guests, and 427 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024