web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#193199 04/10/08 11:31 AM
The default community can easily be changed. That is like the system password. Like most systems, it is up to the installer if they wish to change default password and the like. It just depends how competative the market is, but msotly it is to much hassel than it is worth.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#193200 04/11/08 01:42 AM
Korak Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by MacOSX:
If somebody has access to your communications room and phone system without you knowing about it, then the security lapse isn't in the phone system.
Well, considering this is a K-12 school and the phone system sits in the back of the classroom, there is not much I can do about that. smile

Thanks again.
Scott

#193201 04/11/08 03:01 AM
Moderator-Toshiba
Moderator-Toshiba
There is plenty you can do about it.

1. Cover it (i.e. - frame a wall, or box around it) and put it under lock and key.

2. Change the "Community name" to something else (that's what all the Lowes stores do... not a single one of them is the default).

3. Change the IP address.

4. Change the password on the phones, so programming mode on the phones is restricted (because even with the IP and CN changed, you could still access programming via phones).

My point is not a "numbered list" of what to do, but that there are many steps that you yourself can take to make the communications environment more secure. Also, making the staff aware of security risks adds another layer of protection too. Let them know that no one should be near the phone system and to challenge anyone who may say they are working on the system.

Security should start with the people that operate in the work place everyday (i.e. Teachers, Administrators, etc. : in your case), having the knowledge of security risks and knowing they can alert you (or someone else) when they see a potential breech. It doesn't have to be ran like a military base... but just give someone the knowledge of what to look for and to be aware of what would normally be innocuous information and or actions and will be an asset to the many layers of security.

[/rant]

Sorry for the long winded response.

- Tony
Ohio Data LLC
Phone systems, data networks, firewalls and servers in Central Ohio.
Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.
#193202 04/11/08 06:16 AM
Korak Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the suggestions. I will probably do a bit of this. I hope to never have problems, but you never know.

As far as:

Security should start with the people that operate in the work place everyday (i.e. Teachers, Administrators, etc. : in your case), having the knowledge of security risks and knowing they can alert you (or someone else) when they see a potential breech.
Most that are here could care not less I am sure. I have warned them not to give their passwords out to anyone or post them where they can be seen. I can open about 70% of the deskdrawers or look under the keyboard and get their password. I even had one teacher to give their password out to some students one year so that they could enter grades in her grade book. This gave the students the priveledge of the student records program. I am not their dad so I just give up. If they want to do things like that then I'll let them. When all of the student records disappear one day, then I will say I told you so and take a long time to restore a backup. wink

Sorry for the rant and thanks again for all the info and suggestions.

Scott

#193203 04/11/08 05:59 PM
Moderator-Toshiba
Moderator-Toshiba
Originally posted by Korak:
Thanks for the suggestions. I will probably do a bit of this. I hope to never have problems, but you never know.

Most that are here could care not less I am sure. I have warned them not to give their passwords out to anyone or post them where they can be seen. I can open about 70% of the deskdrawers or look under the keyboard and get their password. I even had one teacher to give their password out to some students one year so that they could enter grades in her grade book. This gave the students the priveledge of the student records program. I am not their dad so I just give up. If they want to do things like that then I'll let them. When all of the student records disappear one day, then I will say I told you so and take a long time to restore a backup. wink

Sorry for the rant and thanks again for all the info and suggestions.

Scott
I understand that they could not care less, but in the situation you're in it seems as though, you'd be held liable for some "mishap/network breech" (which is bound to happen, from the sounds of it).

You must convince the higher ups that the employees have to take it as seriously as they do their own house door and or financial information. A teacher giving a student a password is completely and 100% UNACCEPTABLE, anywhere anytime!

I would bet a nickel that if tomorrow it's discovered that a student changed grades, the Sys Admin is the one that takes the fall, regardless of whose account/password was used. Instituting a mandatory security briefing/training and mandatory password changes is more of a cover your own butt measure.

Either way, it's up to you. I'm just trying to offer some experienced advice.

[/(yet another) rant]

smile

- Tony
Ohio Data LLC
#193204 04/06/09 07:43 AM
I am having a similar problem. I am using IE6. I am using eManager V5.10A05. I am aware that the username is case sensitive. The computer is on the same subnet and I can ping the phone system. I simply cannot login to emanager, which I am understanding means I have a software issue. I have IIS installed along with the management tools.

I have been trying to use the default username and password that I had when I received the system. I had to reinstall emanager and I am wondering if the username and password I had before is not the default. Can someone please PM me or email me the default username and password?

#193205 04/08/09 02:06 AM
Moderator-Toshiba
Moderator-Toshiba
duanelenander , welcome to the board!

If you could start a new topic, instead of using an old post, that would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Tony

- Tony
Ohio Data LLC
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Carlos#1, phonemeister 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,709 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 12
TDKs79 8
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Curlycord), 120 guests, and 246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024