Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Chris B Offline OP
OP Offline
KK - First off, thanks to everyone for your assistance, since the phones are working now minus the incredibly-long-voicemail-hangup time issue, which we had before this problem laugh

Deltron - I've pored over this manual's programming database and I haven't found anything called "Disconnect Digits" in the programming system - where in the menu hierarchy is that located? And is it in the DHS or the VM?

Anyway, as for sticker shock, we've already priced a couple of VOIP systems and I've forwarded on the pricing information to our superiors, and they still want to go with it as soon as the cash is in the cauffers (sp), so I'm guessing they're not deterred. Also having the entire PBX/Voicemail system all in one computer with admin software would be really nice, since this Vodavi stuff is *arcane* to understand. Some of the systems we looked at had really robust windows-based line monitoring, menu alterations, etc. But I'm babbling now and it's not really relevant here.

Thanks again for your help.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Chris, the disconnect signal programming is in the DHS manual. Thank you for getting back to us and letting us know the outcome or at least your progress.

I think your frustration with regard to difficult programming is due to the fact that phone and voice mail systems were designed to be installed/maintained by trained technicians. Today, customers are expecting to be able to do this themselves.

The one drawback that people fail to remember with VoIP "all in one" packages is that when it goes down, you lose everything. Sure, you hear that the computer network will be down and that's generally accepted, but for the phone system to be down is out of the question. Something to ponder.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Chris B Offline OP
OP Offline
Er, I just found the disconnect digits under the DHS programming database. It won't let me enter #9999, it just blanks out the screen if I type #9999 and hit "Chg". It appears to want all-numeric or all-#'s.

Chris B Offline OP
OP Offline
NEW ISSUE - We've recently discovered that even though we pick up the line we're getting empty voice mails. We presently have the Voice Mail system configured to do a Supervised Transfer every time someone dials one of our extensions, it sets the phones to ring and blink, and we pick up and press the appropriate CO Line.

However, ever since the DHS got reprogrammed, apparently we're getting empty dial-tone voice mails even if the VM performs a supervised transfer and we pick it up. Any ideas?

Yes, there isn't a disconnect signal being received from the local service provider or the disconnect signal (digit string) isn't being sent to the voice mail. The voice mail is doing what it is supposed to do: Hang onto the call assuming that the caller doesn't have a touch-tone dial. The caller hangs up, but the voice mail isn't being told that it is OK to disconnect. It allows the "caller" that it thinks is there to leave a message, which ends up being a recording of nothing.

Again, it is not the voice mail's fault. It's not being told how to handle hang-up callers.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
The disconnect problem should be easy to check. Call in, have someone answer and then have only the caller hang up. If the DHS keeps the line siezed for more than a second or two then there is little or no disconnect supervision. IF the DHS drops the line and the line key light goes out...then something else is going on here.

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

Retired, taking photographs and hoping to fly one of my many kites.
Important missing step: Answer the call and place it on hold, THEN see if the line drops when the caller hangs up.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
Originally posted by EV607797:
Important missing step: Answer the call and place it on hold, THEN see if the line drops when the caller hangs up.
Not necessary on the DHS. If the line port loses power (as in a disconnect signal), it will clear the line even if you are talking on it.

Chris B Offline OP
OP Offline
Okey dokey, I did ask you asked. Just to be safe, I did both what Ed asked and what Derrick asked.

1) I called the work switchboard from my cell phone
2) Dialed my own extension
3) Picked up my line
a) In the second test put myself on hold
4) Hung up my cell

Both times I hung up the cell phone, on the Starplus master display phone (which is at my desk,) the CO Line red light went out *less than a second* after I pressed "end call" on the cell. Both times, both voice mail ports remained lit for EIGHT minutes, and both times I got an empty voice mail message containing a dialtone.

Oh one quick added question - would the STS or STSe work with our preexisting crappy StarPlus phones or would we have to buy new phones?

No, unfortunately those phones are not compatible. You could reuse the voice mail with an STSe though.

There's no doubt that you are receiving the disconnect signal from your service provider, which is a good thing. The DHS is not sending a string of 9's to the voice mail to tell it to disconnect.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  EV607797, JWRacedog, MnDave, nfcphoneman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,815
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,400 Shoretel
189,145 CTX100 install
187,423 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 169 guests, and 429 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024