Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
modata Offline OP
OP Offline
We are using a Vodavi Digital Talk Path voice mail system on an old Mod# 5000-00 system.
When someone calls the line does not disconnect and it stays occupied for a long time which keeps us from using them.
We have recently switched phone companies form VOIP to AT&T Pots lines.
I have restart the phone and voice mail system since the switch. Any help in this area would be appreciated!!!

Thank you for your cooperation
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Ask the carrier to make sure they are sending a disconnect signal on the line when the parties hang up.

Scott
modata Offline OP
OP Offline
I will give that a try. Thanks for replying.
I will let you know the results. I shortened the message length. It was set to 10 minutes.

Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
If you can't get loop disconnect from the TelCo, add silence detect to the registry. I use max_silence=10. Its not immediate and you can even set it shorter if you wish.

- Dave S. -

You can never appease your ideologue opponents.

modata Offline OP
OP Offline
MNDAVE,
Just add it right to the top of the registry string?
I think the telco has done there thing because I do here the dial tone after the caller hangs up.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Modata:

That is your problem: You should not be hearing dial tone after the caller hangs up. You should hear the line go dead for a half-second (no battery) and then perhaps a recording or reorder tone will be sent.

Your service provider is not sending the disconnect signal and until they do, you are just breaking the system to try to fix their problem.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
If you are using the Admin program, you can add or modify a registry item in the Advanced tab

- Dave S. -

modata Offline OP
OP Offline
The telco fixed the problem. The problem we are having now is that the recording is not stopping after the person hangs up if they do not leave a message. If you disconnect the lines from the Vodavi phone system, there are no prblems with hanging up. Any help will be appreciated.
Thank you,
Mark.

This means that the telco did not fix the problem. Your disconnecting the lines from the system is mimicking what the telco should be doing upon calling party disconnect. This also proves that the system programming is correct.

They may have this feature programmed in their switch. This does not mean that they have every single component along the lines' route configured to repeat it. Remember, telco personnel often just look at records for these requests. They rarely go much deeper than that unless you push the issue. I'd say you are in a justifiable position to do so.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Call the TELCO.

-TJ-
Moderator-Mitel, NEC, Vodavi
Moderator-Mitel, NEC, Vodavi
Don't forget about the disconnect string in flash 66, button 9. Needs to be #9999999.

modata Offline OP
OP Offline
I entered the Flash 66 and it still did not help.
I hooked up to the main line with a hand set and called the number from my cell phone. I waited for the recording to start and hung up my cell phone. From the hand set I heard the line hang up but the recording still resummed and in the backround I could hear a dial tone from the telco line.
This is getting very frustrating. Any help will be appreciated,
Mark.

modata Offline OP
OP Offline
This is to EV607797.
What do I tell the telco to do? They came to our building and tested the lines and said they were all the same strength reading which by their standards is all they can do. They said it was our system that is error.
Thank you for your help.
Mark

You are still not getting disconnect from the Telco. Here is how you can test it: https://www.sandman.com/cpcbull.html

This is our #1 problem with installs above all else, programming, equipment, etc. So all techs have the tester from sandman: https://www.sandman.com/wizard.html#CPCTester

Strength reading is a means in which the uneducated try to make themselves appear to be educated. They simply don't know what they are doing.

If you search the phrase "loop supervision" on this forum, you'll find that this problem has been discussed hundreds of times on dozens of different systems.

Basically, for any system to recognize that the caller has terminated the call, the central office must disconnect the line for about 1/2 second. This is referred to as loop supervision, calling party control (CPC), cancel on disconnect (COD) or a myriad of other terms. By completely removing voltage from the line, the phone system knows to knock down the call to the voice mail. Without this occurring, your system is going to continue doing what it is doing. It is trying to record because it hasn't been told not to do so.

By the way, the flash 66 thing doesn't apply in your case since your voice mail is digital. Inband disconnect digits are only necessary on analog voice mail systems. There's no sense in messing with any other settings because there is absolutely nothing wrong with your system or the programming.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
"this problem has been discussed hundreds of times on dozens of different systems".

- And because customers are leaving real phone companies in droves, this discussion will never end.
frown

- Dave S. -

modata Offline OP
OP Offline
The last telco tech (AT&T) that was at our company checked the voltage of the line and monitored when the line was disconnected and when in route. He told me, "The Vodavi phone system is not giving a disconnect signal after receiving a message on the digital voice mail and the calling party disconnects."
I think I need to call a tech in. This is getting very frustrating.
I don't know if I mentioned this before, but we moved from McLeod (VOIP) to AT&T.

By default, if the phone system receives the disconnect signal from the telco, it automatically passes it to the voice mail. It is not very easy to disable this function, so I am fairly confident that it is there.

If what I'm reading is correct, the at&t technician is claiming that the Vodavi system should be sending the disconnect signal to them. Is that what was said? If so, they are 100% incorrect. It is the complete opposite.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
Originally posted by modata:
I think I need to call a tech in. This is getting very frustrating.
I think you are correct. You've been told what the problem is and you've done your best to correct the issue. You'll need a tech familiar with the system to tell the phone company exactly what is going on and what they need to do to get it fixed.

You gave it your best shot. A+ for trying, my friend!

modata Offline OP
OP Offline
Answer To EV607797,
The tech is saying the voice mail does not hang up when the line is disconnected. It continues until the message times recording times out.

Answer to nfcphoneman,
I will see if I can get someone in.

Thanks to both of you.
Mark

modata Offline OP
OP Offline
Another note,
If the caller dials an extension while the recording is running the recording stops. Then when finished talking everything is fine. Just have the issue during a hangup while recording is running or when someone tries to leave a message and hangs up.
Thank you,
Mark

That is because the Talkpath is designed to end recording by pressing any key. Once this occurs, then it will drop the call after just a few more seconds if no other options are chosen.

Since you already mentioned that the voice mail drops the call when you disconnect the active line, that pretty much confirms that the systems are set up properly and the disconnect signal is not being received.

Save yourself some time and try this test: Pick up on an available line and immediately place it on hold. If the hold condition drops off within about 30 seconds, then you are receiving the disconnect signal from at&t. If the line stays on hold indefinitely, they you aren't receiving it.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
modata Offline OP
OP Offline
It did not disconnect. When I went back to the line it was like an off the hook phone and the phone company recording, "If you want to make a call hang up, etc."
I don't know what to tell AT&T. I have tried everything I can think of to convey what the problem is but, they keep saying they lines are functioning correctly.
Thank you Ed.

modata Offline OP
OP Offline
What,
Line 3 did not hang up. Line 2 did hang up. I am waiting to try line 1.

modata Offline OP
OP Offline
Line (1) and (3)do not hang up. Line (2) does.

Thanks Ed.

Thank goodness that you are finally on the right track. It should be fairly easy to show the at&t tech what it is that you are looking for now that you have one line to show them for comparison.

Even though you are here for help, thanks for keeping us abreast of your progress. I assure you that it helps us all to learn the quirks of dealing with telcos in other parts of the country. Please check back and let us know how you make out. It appears that the end of your problem may be near.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
"If the hold condition drops off within about 30 seconds, then you are receiving the disconnect signal from at&t"

Ed, When I try your test, my Comcast lines drop off in 15 sec but I know they don't have loop disconnect. I think your instructions only work for users who are with a real phone company.

- Dave S. -

modata Offline OP
OP Offline
Ed,
Can you contact me at [email protected]

By the way the telco did resolve the problem this morning. All lines are working as you had told me it would if they did what was expected.

Thank you to all for your help.
Mark.

E-mail sent.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  EV607797, JWRacedog, MnDave, nfcphoneman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,815
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,404 Shoretel
189,162 CTX100 install
187,426 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 152 guests, and 431 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024