Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#233507 03/20/07 12:09 PM
walterv Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi all, and thanks for the previous help.

I have a DSX 80 hooked up on the bench, it is no grounded and it has 01.01.21 software.
The sound quality (lots of backround noise) is pretty poor, almost to the point of being extremely annoying.
I will ground it tommorow (no ground straps in the office). Do you think it is the ground that can cause this? I know I was told that a ground is real important, just reaching out to see if anyone has experienced this when they have not had a ground.

I see three screw terminals to attach a ground, do I run one ground wire and then bridge it to all three terminals?
P.S I have two Co cards in the system and have the same noise on both. It is not the Co line because I have that line attached to my office system and all is well on that system.

Next issue is the caller Id, I cant get it to work, I changed the field in the CO line coniguration to allow it, but it still does not display the number or name.

I was told that I need to use Windows XP pro, Windows home edition seems to work, before I have to upgrade all ny operating systems, I would like to know why I can't use XP home.

Thanks
Walter

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#233508 03/20/07 12:54 PM
Walter,

Regarding the noise, I think your sidetone may be too loud and you're hearing room noise through the handset. Please try setting the CO line loop length (program 3103-03, settings = short, medium, long). This is a good practice for any installation.

Here's the procedure:
1) Go off-hook on the line you want to set.
2) Break dial tone by dialing a digit.
3) Speak into the handset and listen to the sidetone level. (i.e. your own voice)
4) Change the setting for the line in 3103-03 (using PC Admin or another phone).
5) Repeat step 3 and compare.
6) Select the best (i.e. lowest sidetone) of the 3 settings.
7) Repeat for other lines.

In addition, upgrade to version 01.01.27 (go to www.necdsx.com ). This version has improvements for sidetone issues as well as several other known problems.

Regarding the grounding, it is important that the ETH (Earth) and SG (System) terminals be connected together and to a good earth ground. This will ensure a good path to ground for lightening protection and reduce any grounding issues that may cause hum. The PBX ground is not used, however there is no harm in connecting it to the other ground terminals. Please see the DSX hardware installation manual for more details. ( www.necdsx.com/docs/files/1093096_rev2.pdf )

Not sure what the problem could be with Caller ID. Do you have the line Caller ID type set as DSP?

I don't think there are any problems with WinXP home (well at least with the DSX Admin program that is). Please make sure you are using the latest version (01.00.01).

Hope this helps.

#233509 03/20/07 01:09 PM
walterv Offline OP
OP Offline
It is not side tone, but for sh-ts and giggles I will try what you said, thanks. I read the the upgrade notes for 01.01.27, will try that also.

PS. Whats up with using xp home as opposed to xp pro?

Thanks again for all the help, I am a virgin with this product.

Walter

#233510 03/20/07 03:25 PM
There is no reason to upgrade to xp pro to use system administrator. The only one that I have had a problem installing it on is a 64 bit server. All other systems have worked fine so far.

As for the side tone do upgrade to the latest software as previously suggested. Try the 3 settings in 3103-03. If none of these work then try ajusting the recieve db in 3103-02. If at last this does not fix the problem. Change it to a DS line card it will generally fix the sidetone issue.

As for the callerid there are different settings for callerid under 3121-01. Options None, DSP, ATRU-DB, T1/PRI. The default is none. Most carriers use DSP for the callerid setting but some use ATRU-DB.

Hope this helps
Brian.

All In One Communications
Mustang, OK
#233511 03/20/07 03:54 PM
walterv Offline OP
OP Offline
Bad card for the caller Id issue...swaped card all is ok.
It is not side tone, if I mute the handset the noise is still their. I assume muting the handset would cancel a side tone issue , No...?

"64 bit server", sorry don't understand that, if you could be as so kind to explain that I would appreciate that.

Thanks

Walter

#233512 03/20/07 03:55 PM
walterv Offline OP
OP Offline
P.S.

Any info you give me helps.

Thanks very much......

Walter

#233513 03/20/07 04:33 PM
I've had major line sound quality issues without grounding the system, when you ground it you should here a difference but make sure you ground it like the manual says.

Once you ground you might still have sidetone issue, upgrade to latest software & try adjusting what the other guys told you.

Aaron
#233514 03/21/07 03:09 PM
walterv Offline OP
OP Offline
Follow up:
I upgraded the software and grounded the phone system, still the same problem. It is not a side tone problem, I spoke with tech support and they reccomended putting in DS co cards. They told me that this is a known problem with the DSX CO cards (poor design). They told me that in 30 days they will be shipping a newly designed CO card.

The noise I hear is a white noise with a hum. I have three cards that have the same issue. They also suggested sending three new cards.

I have not played with the voice mail yet, but think the system is pretty neat and user friendly. If the DS card does not solve the problem I will be sending all the equipment back and will sit tight till they resolve this issue.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions, I will let you know how it goes with the DS cards.

Walter

#233515 03/22/07 02:23 AM
I've had your same problem with 4 different installs. Changing out to DS cards helps but I believe you lose caller ID unless they also provide you with the daughter board. This is a scary system to sell at this point, very hit and miss. Have never seen or installed a system where so much has to be done to achieve sound quality.

#233516 03/22/07 05:44 AM
Just wondering.... I have a DS2000 system, and the mics in the handsets pick up everything in the room (radio, printers, grandkids). I expect that on speakerphone, but not on a handset call. The background sounds are low enough in volume that they don't interfere with conversations in the office, but I've had complaints from callers that the background sounds were drowning out the person speaking into the phone. Is the DSX any better?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  ttech 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,293
Posts638,829
Members49,768
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,575 Shoretel
189,447 CTX100 install
187,612 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dexman 6
jsaad 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 157 guests, and 221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024