Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Hey all!

First post/new member here smile

I have a Panasonic phone with an answering machine. When people call and I don't answer the phone, the call seems to go to the answering machine, but the callers choose not to leave messages. However, on my recoding machine, I get the following "If you would like to make a call, please hang up and try again...". What gets weird is that even this finishes, the same thing cycles with the same number showing up on the caller ID. Most recently, I had this entire cycle happen three times in a row.

From what I understand, the disconnect signal is not going through or something? How would I go about fixing this annoying problem?

Thanks for any help!

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Are we talking a POTS line from the phone company or dial tone from the cable company or what is the source? Sounds like you're not receiving disconnect supervison from your provider.

welcome to the board.

Retired phone dude
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Make sure that the answering machine is set for "CPC", which is Panasonic's terminology for disconnect signal. If set for VOX, it will continue to record telephone company messages. If it is set for CPC and this is still happening, then the phone company is not sending you a disconnect signal. You'll have to get them to fix that.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
OP Offline
justbill,
I just have a POTS line. I also have DSL, but I'm not sure if that's relevant (the phone is on a DSL filter...). Thanks for the welcome!

EV607797,
I'm not sure what "CPC" or "VOX" exactly stand for, but I found a manual of my phone online (https://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/KXTG1032.pdf if anyone's interested...). I searched for the terms "CPC" and "VOX" in the PDF, but I didn't get a result for either. Do you know what these stand for (maybe I can find them in the manual if I spell them out)?

When I call the phone company, do I just tell them that I'm not getting a disconnect signal? Is this a common problem?

Thanks again for your help!

Most Panasonic home devices have a switch or setting to detect CPC. Make sure there isn't a way to enable this on yours.

"CPC" refers to "calling party control", more of Panasonic's own terminology for disconnect supervision.

"VOX" refers to the ability for the device to detect the presence (or absence) of any sound on the line to force a disconnect. Since there is a recorded message playing, with the VOX setting, the unit will think that there is a message being left and won't disconnect.

Yes, you should call the phone company and refer to the absence of disconnect supervision, loop supervision, or even COD (Cancel On Disconnect). Perhaps one of those terms will get you somewhere with them. My suggestion is that you report this as a repair issue via the company's on-line reporting area. There is a better chance that your problem will be conveyed in your own words directly to a switch technician who will understand what you need. Repair clerks tend to miss a lot in the translation when entering a verbal repair request.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Along with what Ed said there's a couple things you can try.

Have someone call you then have them hang up. See if you go back to dial tone after just a few seconds. If you don't you're not getting a disconnect from the phone company. If you do than your answering machine is holding the line up after if goes back to dial tone, like Ed said it's hearing something because it's voice activated. I'd guess it's the answering machine holding up the line because it's voice activated. People call, don't want to leave a message and hang up. You'll get the recording and reorder tone until either the time limit on your answering machine is reached or the reorder tone times out and goes silent.

In looking through the manual you linked I see no option for CPC or supervised disconnect.

Retired phone dude
Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
I'm not overly familiar with Panasonic telephone equipment, but I don't think too many consumer telephone devices would have that sort of option only because most people don't really know/understand what positive disconnect is.

The at&t consumer telephone units that I'm familiar with (which have been manufactured by VTech since 2000) don't have anything like that. The answering machine releases when it detects a momentary loss of voltage on the phone line.

I Love FEATURE 00

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,284
Posts638,769
Members49,765
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,455 Shoretel
188,310 CTX100 install
187,085 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 7
dexman 4
jc2it 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 112 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024