Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#251599 01/11/07 05:06 PM
SST Offline OP
OP Offline
I upgraded my laptop from xp home to pro. I originally did only the upgrade on the existing file. I had a nightmare of missing, corrupt and un-registered .dll's. I then re-installed pro as a new install on the existing file. But this left a lot of garbage from all of the old apps. I had a new and clean version of xp pro but with a lot of un-usable folders taking up space. I've manually deleted file after file, used the disk clean up and still have 30 gig of used territory.

So, now I went to re-install xp pro, this time I was going to re-format the c: partition. Start over like a brand new machine. But when I get to that point in the install I don't have the choice to format the partition. I tried to boot strate from the xp pro disk on the cd-rom but this machine goes directly back to boot from the hard drive. I've checked the boot sequence and confirmed the cd is in front of the hard drive. This lap top is a Presario 2500. I hit the 'esc' key during boot to manually force the cd to boot but with no luck. It just boots from the hard drive.

This should be simple. Just choose 'L' to reformat the partition. I just don't have that choise.

What am I missing here? I just need to get this stinkin thing formated!

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#251600 01/11/07 05:52 PM
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Are you using a standard XP Pro installation disk? or an OEM? Are you deleting the old partion before trying to get to the reformat option? You have to delete the old, creat a new, and then format.

Z-man
Avaya SME Authorized Partner
www.omniofficetech.com
#251601 01/11/07 06:36 PM
SST Offline OP
OP Offline
It's a standard out of box upgrade disk. I tried to delete the partion but it won't allow me to because the temp installation files are on it. The disk is currently using a single partition and 8 meg of unpartioned space.

#251602 01/12/07 04:19 AM
Do you still have the XP home disc? If so, you can use that to blow away the partition. Then, power off, slap in the Pro disc and you should be good to go. It will complain about not finding a previous installation and ask you to "prove" you're upgrading by inserting the home disc for a moment.

Borrowing a home disc from a friend will also work.

-Steve
#251603 01/12/07 04:34 AM
SST Offline OP
OP Offline
I've got the original home xp sp1 disk that came with the laptop. It will not allow me to reload xp home because it says it's an older version. And again when I try to force a boot from the cd drive it still just boots from the c: drive. Frustrating.

#251604 01/12/07 05:19 AM
1. put pro in cdrom
2. boot to bios, set cdrom as first boot device, reboot
3. follow steps for new install, follow steps to delete partition
4. Create partition and format, it will begin the install process there after.
5. it will also ask for a previous version of windows, place home version in cdrom and let it detect
6. should be good to go.

#251605 01/12/07 05:28 AM
SST Offline OP
OP Offline
I have set cdrom as first boot. This stupid pressario just won't boot from it. It just continues to boot from the c: drive. I tried to boot from the xp home disk, the pro disk and even a windows 2003 server standard edition disk. No luck. Arrrhhhggg! Having said all that I think I'll try to boot from a wk2 disk.....

#251606 01/12/07 06:03 AM
Sounds like you might need a boot floppy if the CD is not booting. The Windows upgrade CD probably won't boot as I'm guessing it doesn't have boot files included. I may be mistaken on this, but it seems to make sense.

The original CD you are trying, is this a Compaq (or HP?) recovery CD? I haven't used one recently, but I do recall Compaq PCs/laptops had their own way of wanting these things done. That was before they were purchased by HP, so this may have changed.

Another option for cleaning the hard drive would be to use system tools from the hard drive manufacturer. You might have to pull the hard drive out to determine who this is. Each manufacturer makes boot disk utilities for doing this. Of course if you are still unable to install the OS after this, you would leave you in a serious bind, so this would proabably be only for a last resort.

Sometimes you carpe diem, sometimes your diem gets carped.
#251607 01/12/07 06:17 AM
SST Offline OP
OP Offline
I have the original xp home sp1 disk and a documention library disk. I there a seperate 'recovery disk'? Would the recovery disk be the only bootable disk for this machine?
That would explain this boot trouble.

#251608 01/12/07 06:42 AM
SST Offline OP
OP Offline
Well I scoured through all my disks and docs. I couldn't find a 'recovery CD'. But I did find some of the original documentation. I looked under the recovery procedures. It instructs you to power up with the OS CD in the cdrom drive then press any key (when prompted) to boot from the cdrom(normal procedure as you would expect nothing speacial here). This machine simply does not give that choice to boot from the cdrom at start up. It won't boot from the cdrom drive. Other than that the cdrom works perfecty, no trouble is indicated with the driver.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,284
Posts638,772
Members49,765
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,461 Shoretel
188,329 CTX100 install
187,093 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 5
jc2it 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 136 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024