web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Red Hat is a free software, but Red Hat free is no longer supported. Red Hat is now Fedora Core.

The only Red Hat that you'd have to pay for is Red Hat Boxed CD Set and the Red Hat Enterprise Edition. Otherwise, free-of-charge.

Check www.distrowatch.org.

Kristopher
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

For you guys running Win98, I can't understand why you haven't went to XP.

This machine is XP and on a network with the old WIN 98 box. I can't speak for Ed, but the reason I still keep the old WIN 98 is because it has software on it that either won't run properly on XP or there is no XP version available.

I have an old version of Peachtree that dates back to WIN 3.1. Many functions won't work under XP, things like scrolling and printing formats. It took a long time to come up to speed with that accounting software so I'm reluctant to change. It serves us well, and if it ain't broke I'm not going to fix it.

I also have old Avery label printing software that will not run at all on XP and is no longer available. They only offer templates and macros for Word. That does me no good if I have to redo every label I have.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Ok so I am confused now what should I do is there any perfect laptop that i can run what I need to run to make it easier for when I am on the road.
Thanks Brian when ytou get a chance call me so we can brain storm this idea so I can get what i need next week.
Thanks guys

Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Jules,

the only issue your going to have with a new machine is whether Vista will support a certain version of a program. This is not new to OS applications. It has been going on for years. The main reason...money. I am not saying it is right, but the only reason software makers are in business is to make money. So if they made a product that worked universally in any OS ever invented, then they wouldn't be able to sell software after the market was saturated. Intuit is a prime example. Seems like I have to buy a major upgrade every few years to keep using the program. It's their way of keeping me sucked in of course. Compatability issues with Vista work both ways. Some of it is the way Microsoft changed the core, the other is Vendors who won't create a patch for existing software because they know we will be forced to buy a new version. If you want a new machine with out the hassles, then order from someone like Dell and get the machine with WinXP. All the machines will be Vista ready, and you can change when software and drivers become more mainstream.

Z-man
Avaya SME Authorized Partner
www.omniofficetech.com
Thanks topher. Will commercial software run on Fedora Core?

I also remembered Linspire but I don't know if it's worth buying.

I am very interested in trying a new OS out because I am building a new computer for my mom and I really don't want to put Visa on it.

Thanks Zman I appreciate your advice.

Texas,

Depends what you mean on 'commerical'. with linux, you can't use regular windows programs out-of-box. However, you can use a program called Wine to run win apps easily.

Or, you can install VMWare (free) and install a version of windows on it (any like xp) and open that in linux. So you can run win apps on windows inside a linux machine! Very nifty.

There are programs such as OpenOffice.org that allow you to get word processing and database spreadsheet systems. Sometimes works better than MS Word and such. Very nifty.

I adore RH Linux, and since fedora is a branch of RH, I have no problems with it.

If you have the Aztec or Azzuera(sp?) internal-built-in wireless system on a laptop, be prepared for it to not work right at install. Those systems need some configuration which anyone can really help you with.

However wireless cards for Linksys (G, B) have been perfected.

It just depends how much you're using it for.

Added: If going linux and want something similar to windows and such, install the KDE Graphical Desktop at install. When you install Fedora it will ask you whether you want Gnome or KDE. Go for the KDE.

I believe Linspire was the one that looked just like Windows. It's not free though. If you want to experiment with that, go ahead. But Fedora is a very wise choice.

Also, if you are running servers I recommend Linux RH or Fedora instead of Windows.

Kristopher
I don't normally do this, but I feel compelled to give my $0.02 worth.

These opinions are based on 20 years of computing and network experience, and I mean direct hands-on stuff.

Vista is the worst piece of bloated crap-ware ever to be foisted on an unsuspecting world, for its excessive DRM if nothing else. Treating your customers like criminals by default, especially at the whim of Hollywood, is no way to run any business.

Our Internet-exposed servers (I'm self-hosted) are all based on FreeBSD and open-source software such as Apache, Postfix, and others. This configuration will never change, simply because it is robust, secure, and it works well (unlike some software I could name).

I will NEVER, under ANY conditions, base an Internet-exposed server on any Windows package. Any workstation so based will be protected behind a hardware firewall, and have current antiviral and anti-spyware programs (and I don't mean crap-ware like McAfee or Symantec!)

Our workstations are all Windows 2000 Pro. They will not be "upgraded" to X(tra)P(ain) or Vista. Ever. There is no reason to do so, as everything currently works and I don't want to break it.

On the subject of XP: I absolutely refuse to beg Microcrap for a new "Product Activation" every time I want to make a hardware change. As long as software is legitimately purchased, it's none of their bloody business WHAT system I choose to run it on.

No system running XP or Vista will be allowed to be connected to any part of our internal LAN. Ever. I have plenty of other ways to test security if I want to, all of them far less potentially destructive.

Keep the peace(es).

Bruce Lane, Owner & Head Hardware Heavy, Blue Feather Technologies.

"Salvador Dali's computer has surreal ports..."
While we are on the subject....

https://www.badvista.org

It is a "pro Linux" site, but it has a lot of good points about Vista's bad points. Mainly the fact that according to the EULA you never really own your copy of Vista, you license your right to run it or something to that affect and it can even restrict access to your own files. The info is on the site and I am not a lawyer, so read and enjoy.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and panicking like the passengers in his car.

Ugh! Windows is looking less and less promising by the minute!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,805
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,374 Shoretel
189,059 CTX100 install
187,411 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 24
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
4 members (Toner, Touch Tone Tommy, Professor Shadow, Carl Navarro), 164 guests, and 400 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024