Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Okay...I am not an employee of Microsoft by any means, but I think they get a bad rap sometimes. First, I have no problems with their product activation. So I have to call them to get it activated? No big deal. They have never given me grief, and if this keeps the cost down due to stopping piracy, then so be it. If you really want to talk activation hassles, talk to Symantec. Try activating one of their products after the number of activations runs out, and your screwed!! They won't even help you. I was told after having to load their product 3 times due to a bad hard drive that kept crashing, that I would have to purchase a new copy of the software, even though the original was only loaded on ONE machine, per the EULA. I was so pissed off at them, that I went with a new company for my virus protection, and it has been a good move. I can use their product on 5 seperate machines for the same cost of Norton. If you read most EULAs, Microsoft is no different than anyone else.

As far as security, sure they have issues, but 90% of the world uses them, so there are bound to be some issues.

I admire you guys who use Linux, but I have went that route, and frankly, don't have the time it takes to manage the OS. Linux will never be mainstream until it can find a way to act like windows. When it does, it will probably be subject to some of the same problems Windows has now.

Personally, I have run Windows XP since it came out, and I run it on several machines. I have never had any issues with crashes, security, or viruses, except those caused by my own errors.

Bottom line is use an OS that you are comfortable with and works for you. I am fine with Windows, since it will run all my programs, something neither Linux or MAC will do.

Z-man
Avaya SME Authorized Partner
www.omniofficetech.com
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

I agree with a lot of what Z-man says, though it's extremely irritating that Microsoft changes its licensing for every major release. I do know that having several hats to wear at my job, I don't get the time to learn other operating systems as I would like.

Bruce, just out of curiosity, do you purchase new PCs without the OS, then load 2000?

I generally purchase off-lease stuff that now mostly comes with XP. Of course my systems are generally used as 'dumb terminals' to connect to our Citrix servers, so the client OS doesn't matter too much to me. I'm sure we still have some clients running Windows 95 and a few thin terminals as well. I've toyed with the idea of running Linux workstations, but there's issues of learning the desktop OS and licensing for the terminal clients. I don't think we'd save anything unless we migrated to *nix servers.

Sometimes you carpe diem, sometimes your diem gets carped.
Hi, Steve,

To answer your main question: It varies a bit. If I'm getting an upgraded (in terms of hardware) workstation for myself or my wife, I will build them from the ground up, from hand-selected (by yours truly) components.

This may cost a bit more, but it has the effect of giving us the longevity (5 years, bare minimum, sometimes 7 or more) that we look for in our systems.

For things like laptops, I've also been known to buy off-lease equipment. In fact, my current laptop (a Dell Latitude C640) is an off-lease unit, bought on Greed-bay from a fellow in Texas who is a Dell reseller, and who takes in off-lease systems for reconditioning and resale.

On the (very) rare occasions when I do buy pre-built systems, I will usually start with Greed-bay, looking for IBM Intellistations that are just a few years old. They're decently inexpensive, exceedingly well-made, and they run just about anything I throw at them like a champ.

Most of the systems I've bought in this manner already come with a license for Windows 2000 Pro, which is fine by me.

Linux has gotten much more publicity than other open-source Unix-type OS's, but this does not mean it's the best idea for every application. I'm uncomfortable with it simply because its code base is still fairly young, especially compared to the BSD family (which has been around since the 70's). That, and I grew up working on BSD-ish systems, which means I already had a good grasp of the command and system structures.

On XP Activation: It's not the fact that it requires it so much as the fact that you have to actually call the manufacturer for "permission" to run it. In other words, it's the principle and precedent of the thing that bothers me far more than the actual implementation.

If I buy software, I expect to be able to install and use it on whatever system of mine will support it. I do NOT agree with having to beg for permission again every time I change out a hard drive, motherboard, video card, or whatever. That's none of the OS manufacturer's business, and NO OTHER OS MANUFACTURER outside of the Redmond Empire does that.

Keep the peace(es).

Bruce Lane, Owner & Head Hardware Heavy, Blue Feather Technologies.

"Salvador Dali's computer has surreal ports..."
Thanks Bruce. We used a SCO server for our accounting system at my last place of employment. I knew enough to be dangerous mostly. I did install a RedHat system some 5+ years ago, but I never really had enough time to play with it.

Sometimes you carpe diem, sometimes your diem gets carped.
My home laptop (more like my wife's...) is in the shop and we are using a loaner as per the extended warranty I bought.
This loaner is running Vista and some things are fine, some small trinkets that are novel, but don't really impress me or make tasks easier or faster. In fact many admin functions are buried down and steps are added once you find them.
I don't think it's gonna be as bad as the article at the top, but it doesn't really have any draw for me.
So far any "improvements" seem to be useless at best and often a pain in the rear.

Devin
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
I think Bullcube makes a good point. I don't think Vista will be worth buying out right, but I don't think it will be a bad deal if it comes with a new machine.

Z-man
Avaya SME Authorized Partner
www.omniofficetech.com
Nice Topic,

I am the IT guy at a mortgage company. If I was to upgrade to vista the whole company would go under. Reason being....

We use 2 main programs for our business: Calyx Point and Quick Books

These programs will not currently run on Vista right now and why on earth would I want to wait for vista to support them when our system is up and running perfectly.

For home use I tripple boot 3 OS's and may add win98se as a fourth.

Currently I am tripple booting Windows XP PRO SP2, Windows Vista Ultimate and Ubuntu/Kubuntu. I may add ubuntu/kubuntu is an awesome debian linux distro and I highly recommend it. You can get the distros from : www.ubuntu.com or www.kubuntu.org

I mostly use XP and ubuntu/kubuntu. Vista seems more like a toy to me since I really can't run anything on it yet. Seems like a memory hog more then anything.

Overall my opinion is that Vista is more or less just a market hype. Also there is a rumor of microsoft releasing another OS in 2009 code name: Vienna (lol - XP is still working out bugs)

https://www.pcworld.com/article/id,128888-c,vistalonghorn/article.html

This is funny:

So what will be the coolest new feature in Vienna?

According to Fathi, that's still being worked out. "We're going to look at a fundamental piece of enabling technology. Maybe its hypervisors, I don't know what it is," he said. "Maybe it's a new user interface paradigm for consumers."

"It's too early for me to talk about it," he added. "But over the next few months I think you're going to start hearing more and more."
Microsoft is just interested in money frown

Originally posted by Eddie T:
Microsoft is just interested in money frown
Unlike most mortage companies...

Originally posted by rustynails:
Originally posted by Eddie T:
[b] Microsoft is just interested in money frown
Unlike most mortage companies... [/b]
lol

Your funny...

Personally I couldn't do the loan officer thing laugh

I'm just MR. Fix it around there...

Still, I wish Microsoft would focus more time and money on support rather then just the next best looking OS.

I will admit: I enjoy Microsofts products :thumb:

Microsoft did force the industry to be more hardware compatible. As for software, for a desk top I use an ide bay. Build up a harddrive for the diff. apps. you need to run on diff. OS's. works great for lots of diff. things. Older laptops are pretty cheap so I have a couple with diff. OS's it can be a hassel to haul but its less of a hassel then resetting up a usb comm port every time xp decides to reconfigure every thing. My view is never upgrade unless you must.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,290
Posts638,802
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,374 Shoretel
189,058 CTX100 install
187,410 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 22
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
1 members (jsaad), 111 guests, and 406 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024